Friday, July 29, 2011

Hello, My name is Lily and I’m an Apple-Juice-aholic.



Lily is hitting “The Terrible Three’s” in two weeks. (Yes, “The Terrible Three’s”. I don’t believe that 2 is a terrible age. 3 is much, much worse because they can speak and have full opinions.) She’s is now clever, verbal, and able. It’s awful. She knows how to throw a fit, how to move chairs to climb on counters, how to undo most baby locks, and mainly how to get her way. Lately, it all comes down to those damn Juice Boxes.

See, Lily loves Apple Juice more than, probably, anything in the world. She begs for it several times a day. “KiKi, I NEEEEEEDD Apple Juice!!! III NEEED it!” But not just any Apple Juice. No. Apple Juice Boxes. If it comes in any other form she isn’t having it and a full on meltdown breaks out. I don’t stand for this business. The rule is 1 A.J. box a day, if you were a good girl. If we are out of boxes, tough cookies munchkin. But Lily’s dad is pretty typical. He can’t stand the meltdowns. And after Lily refuses breakfast once or twice, usually demanding “mushrooms” (aka marshmallows), he caves and offers up the A.J. box at 9:30am leaving us no bribes to use later in the day. I don’t know how I feel about it or how I’m allowed to respond. Having been with them for 2 years, I have the urge to turn around and say “Seriously?! You can’t enable her and offer up all the goods every time she cries or she’ll never stop. Plus, we need to save our amo for later in the day.” But instead I stay silent. And so does Lily’s mom.

How do you handle the A.J. addiction?


No comments:

Post a Comment